October 19, 2017

Weekend with TV: Fringe (TV Series)

Engramme's Weekend with TV #16: Fringe (Listening A1-B1)


Friday is here again and we are back on Engramme with a new edition of A Scene from a TV Series. And this week's choice is, of course, "Fringe". So sit back, relax, enjoy and learn.

Watch, Listen & Enjoy

Fringe is the story of Olivia Dunham, an FBI agent, who has to work with a brilliant (but mad) scientist, Dr. Walter Bishop, his son Peter, and an FBI junior agent, Astrid, in order to investigate a few unusual crime cases.

Watch the Video: Can you describe what is happening in this scene? What is unusual about Olivia's experience?


Let's Learn

The activity below aims to give elementary/pre-intermediate-level learners practice with (primary and modal) "auxiliary verbs" that are used in the formation of "questions" and "negatives" in English.

Watch & Listen Again: Note down the 'auxiliary verb' that you hear (note the sentence structure in which the verb is used)
(mouse over the colored words to see their meaning)
Olivia: I don't know where I am.
Dr. Bishop: Stand by. Anything now? What ____ you see?
Olivia: Nothing. Wait. There's a door.
Dr. Bishop: Good! Walk through it. Tell me where you end up.
Olivia: I'm in a restaurant.
Dr. Bishop: _____ it look familiar?
Olivia: Sort of. But I _____ know why. This is where we had our first date. And there we are. This is our first date.
Dr. Bishop: _____ you see yourself and John?
Peter: What ___ going on?
Dr. Bishop: She's gone back in.
Peter: What?!
Dr. Bishop: Olivia went back in the tank.
Peter: Why?
Dr. Bishop: Son, I need your help.
Peter: Walter, you said that this was dangerous!
Dr. Bishop: Oh it is. Very.
Astrid: She thinks John Scott had information about the man who killed himself.
Peter: So what? She went back in the tank to talk to John Scott?
Astrid: To see his memories.
Olivia: Look at him. He looks so alive. So real.
Dr. Bishop: I need you to adjust the drugs.
Peter: What ____ you give her this time?
Dr. Bishop: Drugs I'd rather be taking myself. Set the I.V. to ten drips per. Peter, please.
Olivia: I'm getting up! What ______ I do?
Dr. Bishop: Fear not. This is just a memory. You're just visiting. They ______ see you.
Olivia: He's alone. John?
Dr. Bishop: He ______ hear you or speak with you. You're in a memory. He ______ interact with you. Olivia, I'm going to take you elsewhere.
Olivia: I loved you. Tonight. During dinner. I loved you. But you were lying to me about who you were. ____ you ever have any feelings for me at all? Or was it all just...Mark Young killed himself yesterday. He sees me!
Dr. Bishop: No, Olivia. He definitely _____  ___ see you.

(turn on the video subtitles to check your answers)

Wish You a Great Weekend Ahead! If you missed any of this week's lessons (Week #16), click here to access them all.

Review the Vocabulary (underlined/colored) in this post HERE

Download a pdf Copy of this lesson at this link (teachers' version)

No comments:

Post a Comment