September 29, 2017

Weekend with TV: Black Mirror

Engramme's Weekend with TV #13 (New Series): Black Mirror (Listening A2-B2)


Welcome to another Engramme edition of Weekend with TV Series where each weekend we help you improve your English skills by analyzing the language in a scene from a TV series. This weekend, we will be watching a short extract from S03-E01 of Black Mirror:

Watch, Listen & Enjoy

Black Mirror is the name of a British television drama series that explores a high-tech near-future where humans' greatest technological innovations create a dark world for them to live in.

In 'Nosedive' (S03E01), we are introduced to Lacie, a woman who lives in a near future world where people's status depends on their ratings (number of likes & dislikes) on social media. On her way to an old college friend's wedding, she gets into situations where her ratings drop, preventing her from making it on time to her friend's wedding ceremony.

Watch the Scene: What makes Lacie lose points on her status at the airport? Can she finally get on a flight?


Let's Learn

Here's another example of a real-life conversation situation that we discussed in our yesterday's post. However, there also are many useful words and phrases related to airports and flying in this exchange scene. You, too, can learn to use them when you are checking in at the airport.

Watch & Listen Again: Fill in the blanks with the words you hear:
(mouse over the colored words to see their meaning1)
- Hi there. How are you doing?
- I am wonderful.
- I am so sorry. That flight is ________.
- No, no, no!
- Customer incident at the other end.
- What? So when is the next _______?
- Yeah, they're all kind of full.
- I _______ this weeks ago; it's my best friend's wedding.
- I'm sorry.
- I have to get there, I have to!
- Okay, let’s see what we could do.
- Thank you.
- I see there's one standby ______ on another plane leaving tonight. Ah, that's ________ for members of our prime flight program. You gotta be a 4.2 or over to qualify.
- Oh, I'm a 4.2.
- Uh-uh! I'm afraid you're actually a 4.183.
- Oh, well, that's not my fault. Some woman dinged me down in the…Can’t you just…
- I'm sorry, it won’t let me ______ it without the correct ranking.
- But it's so close.
- There's just nothing I can do.
- Christ! I mean, surely.
- I'm gonna have to ask you to moderate your language.
- Sorry, it's just… I’m maid of honor and I cannot ______ this wedding.
- And I am so sorry about that.
- Can you call your supervisor?
- I cannot do that.
- Can you just call the supervisor?
- I cannot do that.
- Call the [beep] supervisor.
- Okay, that's profanity; we’re zero tolerance on profanity.
- I’m sorry. It's just…
- I have to serve the next ________.
- No no no no no no!
- Can you step away, ma’m?
- You’ve got to [beep] help me.
- I’m so sorry.
- I've called ________.
- Oh no no no! Please don't do that. I’m five-starring you. Five stars!
- What’s the ______ here, Hannah?
- Intimidation and profanity.
- Oh, no no! I was not intimidating. I was just trying to…
- Okay! So in order to restore calm, I'm invoking my authority as airport security to dock you one full ranking point as a punitive measure. This is a temporary measure. The score reverts to normal in 24 ______.
- No no no! But I need it now.
- During this period, all down votes are subject to a x2 multiplier. We recommend you avoid negative feedback at this time.
- Please, _______ yourself from the airport immediately.
(see the first comment to compare answers)

We Wish You a Wonderful Weekend! We will be back on Saturday with another edition of Weekend with Music on this blog. Make sure you follow us on g+ or via e-mail (see top right of the blog).

Review the Vocabulary from this lesson HERE

Want to learn more Vocabulary Related to Airports, Flying & Security? Check out this link

Teachers can Download a pdf Copy of this post for classroom use HERE

1 Note that you do not have to learn or know all these words to understand the main points in the conversation. We have provided these definitions as extra information in case you are interested to find out more.

1 comment:

  1. Answers to the gap-fill exercise (in order of text gaps):

    canceled – flight – booked – seat – reserved – book – miss – customer – security – issue – hours – remove

    ReplyDelete