July 25, 2017

English Every Day: Boy & Man Discuss Life

Your Daily English Programme #17 - Boy & Man, 57 Years Apart, Talk about Life (Listening A2-B2)

Think Before You Listen

Look at this list of questions below: Which ones, do you think, are questions for an older person? Which ones are questions for a younger person? How do you know?

Older or Younger?
Questions

What is the worst thing about being young?

What is the worst thing about being old?

Do you wish you were older?

Do you wish you were young? Why?

Will you fall in love? And what will it be like?

Who do you love now?

Did you fall in love? What was it like?

Did you get married?

- Has anyone ever asked you these questions? Have you ever thought about these - or similar - questions?

Watch and Listen

Behind the Video: Producers brought together two people, with a very large gap of 57 years, and got them to ask each other questions about life and growing up. The aim was to see how people from opposing stages of their lives answered the questions above, and whether they could learn from one another.

Watch & Listen: How do the people in the video answer the questions in the table above? (Note your answers on a piece of paper as you listen)


- Did any of their answers surprise you? Which one(s)? Why?

Let's Practice

In our previous post, we mentioned that 'fluency' does NOT necessarily mean speaking without any pauses or hesitation; that even native and fluent speakers hesitate in natural conversation in order to gain time to think and to plan how to say what they intend to say (we have highlighted examples in this video transcript, too).

Today's video gives us a great opportunity to look at another aspect of fluency: 'repetition'. Most of the time, we have to resort to repetition in order to think and to make sure we get our message across. The gaps in the transcript below help you see different ways repetition is incorporated in everyday English conversation1:

Man asks: What is the worst thing about being young?
Boy answers: Well, you get lots of homework. It’s also pretty…it’s like in the middle…like, in school…like, in the middle of bad and good.

Boy asks: What is the worst thing about being old?
Man answers: Not being able to ___ things that you could ___ when you were young.
Boy adds: Um…like, uh, you can’t bend down and get ______ on the floor?
Man responds: Well, I can still ___  _______. But the problem is your body ____s a bit stiff…
Boy reacts: Oh, I know, it hurts a lot when you try to bend down…
Man adds: Yeah! That’s right! You might ____ sick more often. Hopefully, I don’t. But that’s the _______. It is pretty bad.
Boy says: The only time I went to the hospital was my mom didn’t like ____ting me born.

Man asks: Do you wish you were older?
Boy answers: Maybe…Like, so if I was old, and I can buy ______ for my own, and be married. But that’d be ew!

Boy asks: Do you wish you were young? Why?
Man answers: Well, uh, the ________ about…uh…the great thing about being young is you have more time. You have more time to do things. I could ______ games, which I did; I used to ______ Cowboys and Indians.
Boy says: That’s what I ______!
Man responds: That’s what I like about being young. I could use my imagination more.
Boy reacts: That’s a sad story, you can’t ___  ______ anymore.
Man says: Well, I could be an older cowboy – I might ___  __, yes!

Man asks: Will you fall in love? And what will it be like?
Boy answers: I don’t know. Like, we’ll have babies and it will be like _____…oh, I’d have to change… Even though I’ll have to change his diaper, it’ll be _____! But what if he cries? …I’ll just sing like Ed Sheeran to him.

Man asks: And who do you love now?
Boy answers: My ______!
Man reacts: Your mom? Your ______?
Boy says: I like my dad.  I like my ________.

Boy asks: Did you fall in love? What was it like?
Man answers: Yes, uh…It was different for me. I fell in love late.

Boy asks: And did you get married?
Man answers: No, unfortunately, my partner, she ______  _____…she ______. That was a sad ______; she ____ sick.
Boy reacts: I’m gonna cry.
Man says: No, no, no! Don’t. You see, these ______ happen, Shawn. That’s life. But…we have, I have very good memories…very good _________. And you live…a lot of the time you live in your head with those memories. You can _________ all the good things, and that’s the important thing.

Man gives advice: Well, the advice I would give to you Shawn…is…you don’t have to be rich to be _______. Do the things you like doing, [things] that make you feel good because when you’re _______ yourself, everybody else is _______.

Boy gives advice: To…like…act normal. Don’t be silly; don’t bully lots of _______. The people I know in school, like my ________ Alex in school, whenever he ____s hurt I hug him. It might not be able to work out…
Man says: No, that’s good advice…

Man gives more advice: And be yourself. Don’t let other _______ tell you what you should be. Just be as you are, isn’t that true? …and I’m sure your life is gonna be very successful. You have all the right _______; you have all the right things to do; all your good friends. And…keep those ________ going. And keep life going…

(To compare answers, see the full transcript here)2

Your Turn

Choose one or two questions from the table at the beginning of this post, and write your own answers in one sentence or paragraph in the comments below.

Congratulations! You've completed another day's lesson on Engramme: Your Daily English Programme. Want to learn more vocab related to 'stages of life' & 'aging'? See this

Did You Notice? Mouse over the underlined words in the post to see more info.

Teachers can download a pdf copy of this lesson for classroom use HERE

1 There are many ways speakers 'repeat' what they say: one way, as you can see in this video script, is to say again exactly what you've just said. Another way is to use 'synonyms' (for example, in this video, the speakers use the words 'memory' (n.) & 'remember' (v.) to talk about exactly the same idea: past memories). Yet another way is to use 'familiar vocabulary' (e.g. do/get/stuff/thing) or 'ready-made collocations' (e.g. get sick/get stuff/ get old/ get hurt).
2 This is not an 'exact' transcript. Some parts have been omitted for brevity.

No comments:

Post a Comment